These are letters to Jack, my son, and my daughter, Audrey. You have given me the gift of motherhood. This is just a little gift back. I want to share my experiences with you of your childhood from my perspective of watching you grow - of being your Mom.

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

The Need For Speed!

9-5-06

Jack,

I think we all have this need and it manifests itself in our enjoyment of a really exciting roller coaster ride, driving a little too fast on the highway, putting on skis and going down a snowy slope or sledding or roller skating (see how old I am? If I was younger, I would have said in-line skates or something way cooler).

I think it’s that momentary feeling of being out of control, but knowing that we will be okay in the end, even if there are MINOR injuries that could come from the adventure. That increase in your heartrate as you pick up speed and your brain tells all your muscles – YOU ARE GOING TOO FAST!!! You can almost feel the smile tugging at your mouth.

Well, you have – god forbid – discovered this sensation!

And, by god, you have the bruises and scrapes to prove it!

I’ll be gosh-darned if you don’t walk around looking as though you are pummeled by your horrible child-abusing parents every morning and then you walk out of the house with black and blue bruises on your sweet little battered face and smile sweetly at complete strangers so they can smile back with an apologetic look at you and then glare all holy hell at me.

Still – it’s out of my control and I realize this.

Your NEED FOR SPEED is one that manifests itself anytime we are outside. You seek out a big hill and determinedly reach the top of it. Once at the top, you place yourself just at the point where gravity is pulling on your balance to drive you down the hill quickly losing more and more control with each step, but while you are still balanced there feeling the sensation of that gravity pull, you start to giggle!

You stand there at the top of the hill waiting for gravity to win and giggle repeatedly sounding a lot like Beavis and Butthead. It’s really quite adorable. You would stand there for well over an hour, I’m sure, waiting for gravity to win fair and square, but I’m not patient enough for gravity - so I offer a finger so you will take that one more step that sends you racing out of control towards the bottom of the hill with a wide grin on your face and breath held as much as possible until you reach the bottom alive and perhaps with one more scrape or bruise (I try my darnedest to keep these to a minimum, Sweetie!)

Well, I admit that I endulge this a little by taking hills in the car just a little faster so you can feel that drop in the pit of your stomach at the base of the hill and I can see that excited look on your face in the rearview mirror.

Life is exciting, honey! I’m glad you get such a thrill out of it because it moves extremely fast and you can always expect a few bumps and bruises.

God help me, I’m terrified for when you get your license!

Love,

Mommy

No comments: