These are letters to Jack, my son, and my daughter, Audrey. You have given me the gift of motherhood. This is just a little gift back. I want to share my experiences with you of your childhood from my perspective of watching you grow - of being your Mom.

Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Scaries

Jack,

I can’t speak for most 3 year olds because I don’t know most three year olds, but when it comes to Halloween this year, I don’t think you are like most three year olds.We had been trying to decide on a Halloween costume for you and had been looking at options online trying to spark some inkling of what you might prefer.I clicked through with a notepad beside me on which I wrote the names of the costumes that elicited your biggest reactions. But each time I thought we had figured it out and asked you if you wanted to be that thing, you would say “no”.You were very entertained by the scary costumes when they popped up. I would react by saying ewwww, yucky! and switching to another one trying to make light of the gore and horror that some of those costumes represented.You thought this was hilarious and made a game of trying to point out hideous costumes to me for my reaction.We have been to Target and other stores and looked at their Halloween costume selections, but you are far more interested in the decorations than in any costumes that we may find.You will pull us towards the decorations aisle and there you will stand in the middle of the aisle wide-eyed at these horrific Halloween displays. A skeleton chained in a cage that begs for it’s life and to be let out when you press a button. Another box with a button that, when you push it, a skeletal hand reaches out from the inside of the box and tries to grab you. A tombstone with fake blood that runs down the sign while a demonic voice declares that it will see you soonwaaaaa haaaaa haaaa haaaaa!” I see other children with their parents look down the aisle and then look away quickly or freeze up and start to make fear sounds if their parents look like they are going that direction while there you stand in the middle of the aisle, not daring to step closer to these things, yet – when they stop, you will demand “Press it AGAIN, Mommy!” absolutely thrilling in that rush of adrenaline, I suppose.You ask to go see the “scaries” now and we will visit a nearby store with decorations so you can watch the face ripper remove his face or watch a scary head spin around while eyes turn red and horrible screams are uttered from terrifying molded faces. Part of me wonders if maybe I should come up with some reason that we can’t visit the “scaries”. Part of me wants to protect you, but another part thinks that you know this is some sort of entertainment and while it scares you it also fascinates you – what do I know.Actually, I can't believe how early we are into this holiday and already how much of an impression it has made on you. Just wait till you see all the grub!Love,

Mommy

No comments: