These are letters to Jack, my son, and my daughter, Audrey. You have given me the gift of motherhood. This is just a little gift back. I want to share my experiences with you of your childhood from my perspective of watching you grow - of being your Mom.

Saturday, September 27, 2008

There's Nothing Like Inflatables

Jack,

There's nothing like a Carnival, so today must have blown your mind.The day started off with my company's picnic which is an annual event.We tend to show up on the early side of things hoping to work in a nap for you somewhere after the second hour, so it's not too crowded.
And just as dependably as we can rely on the lack of a crowd for the entertainment, we can also depend on the reliablility that there will be inflatables.Inflatables rock - they can make you go from feeling totally blah to feeling like it's Christmas morning merely by making you feel like you are walking in space as you fly around in that little house with no fear of injury (this is entirely dependent upon it being empty, I emphasize).You also very much like to lie still while I jump around you and bounce you in the air. You laugh while your body bounces around like it's in the throws of some type of seizure.
Plus, you are my automatic-get-out-of-jail free card to doing things like this that obviously weren't intended for the parental variety.Then there was even more to do.An inflatable slide with a rope climber.YES!I contemplated trying this one out, too, but the thought of sliding down this inflatable in my shorts in front of all my co-workers with my limbs jutting out at all angles was so unappealing that I talked myself out of it.I wasn't exactly eagerly looking forward to living that one down.So after this much excitement and heart-pumping adrenaline, what do you think the last thing you would want to do would be?Did you just guess "take a nap?!??" Well, you just won the big prize, then!So after clowns made you a balloon animal (you wisely chose a Spider Man balloon hat) and painted an Elmo on your little person, it was time to head home for naptime.A completely unsuccessful naptime where you basically yelled to us the entire nap time that it was over. "Naptime is over, Mommy! Come wake me up!"Afterward, it was time for the Shrewsbury Fall Festival, so we headed over there and met up with your cousins Calum and Emmit and with Uncles and Aunts, Kelly, Bobby, Erin and Brett.

There was a mobile petting zoo (with a rather unfriendly camel that charged me)....with goats...turtles...camels...And, of course, more Inflatables! :)

Love,

Mommy

No comments: