These are letters to Jack, my son, and my daughter, Audrey. You have given me the gift of motherhood. This is just a little gift back. I want to share my experiences with you of your childhood from my perspective of watching you grow - of being your Mom.

Saturday, August 04, 2007

Jack,

I never thought I'd get soooooo tired of that word.

No.

Wow - did you know that if you hear the word "no" about 1,000 times in a day, boiling hot lava will shoot out of your mouth at your spouse and burn his face off?

It's not pretty and it's a very serious side effect. :)

Okay - maybe not so much, but hearing "no" all the time DOES get old pretty fast.

I'm learning that a cure for the "no"-ing two year old is exposure to friends. Friends are less likely to cause a rash of "no" answers because they are fun and not gatekeepers to all things unsafe, sugar, or bad for you.

Friends will say "yes - let's have animal cookies for breakfast!"

Stinky old parents will say "animal cookies are for snack time. Let's have some cereal."

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

Friends will say "you don't have to change your diaper"

Parents will say "come here and let's change your pants"

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Friends will say "Yes - dump every toy in the house out on the floor regardless of whether you would play with them or not because that in itself is an activity."

Parents will say "You have to help clean up what you get out, Buddy!"

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Anyway.... I've had a bit of a release valve lately with some after work parties. Daddy makes it home from his traveling and I blow off some steam on Friday nights and then all is well again. The boiling lava subsides, 3rd degree burns heal and we can move on!

Love,

Mommy

No comments: