These are letters to Jack, my son, and my daughter, Audrey. You have given me the gift of motherhood. This is just a little gift back. I want to share my experiences with you of your childhood from my perspective of watching you grow - of being your Mom.

Monday, March 13, 2006

Last Night

3-13

Jack,

Last night your father and I went out on a date for the first time in a long time! We went out to have a nice dinner together (along with dessert) and then went to a comedy show at The Fox featuring Ray Romano and Brad Garrett.

At about 3:30, I brought you over to your Aunt Kelly and Uncle Bobby's house and then your Daddy and I got dressed up for the evening and left early for dinner.

When you have a little one, it's hard to leave because you feel that you want to be with your child as much as you can. But - believe me - it's great for everyone for parents to take a little time sometime by themselves. The longer it is between the times, the more awkward it can be in the beginning. Your Daddy and I sat in the restaurant in the beginning looking around at everything around us - not really even talking to each other much, but then dinner came and we started talking about you. Have you seen Jack do this? Have you noticed that he's been doing that?

By the time we had dessert, we were talking about where we wanted to be in our lives and how to get there and more recent plans too, like vacations that we want to go on with you and things like that. It was really nice.

I checked in on you twice. Once early in the evening and I could hear you squealing and yelling and having a wonderful time and I felt SO good hearing that. I knew you were having the time of your life and I felt okay that I was having a nice time, too.

I checked in later on our way home at 9:30 and you were asleep already. You had fallen asleep at 8:15.

When we got home, we got ready for bed and turned on the TV. I snuck to your room and opened the door. I didn't want to wake you and couldn't see you in the darkness, but I listened at the door to your breathing and felt such contentment with everything - my marriage and you.

I think I slept better last night than I have in a long time, and it wasn't the length of sleep time either because I think I only got about 5 hours of sleep last night, but I feel renewed!

I love your Daddy, Jack. I think it's great for children to hear parents say that about each other. Your father is fantastic and I hope you grow up to be just like him!

I love you, Buddy! I'll see you tonight and - what a week we are going to have! Your first birthday is in just 2 days!!!

This weekend - 2 birthday parties!

I can't wait to celebrate YOU!!!

Love,

Mommy

No comments: