These are letters to Jack, my son, and my daughter, Audrey. You have given me the gift of motherhood. This is just a little gift back. I want to share my experiences with you of your childhood from my perspective of watching you grow - of being your Mom.

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Fall that scared me

3-28-06

Jack,

Yesterday you fell when you were playing by pulling items out of a drawer (one of your favorite games) and you hit right above your eye on the corner of the drawer. It scared me so badly. It was the first time you've had an accident that drew blood and it was so close to your eye that I just freaked! We were so lucky that it was a surface scratch. I spent the rest of the day walking around with the image of you slipping and hitting your head playing through my mind again and again and I kept thinking - oh, god - what if it had been an inch lower. It could have been your eye!

I'm seeing all sorts of dangers everywhere I look now. I think I'm going to have to physically restrain myself from tying pillows to the corners of everything in our house!

This week I have begun opening the door to the basement so that you can visit with the cats. You love them so much! We open the door to the basement and I say "Here, kitty-kitty" and clap my hands together and Lilly and Darla come running immediately to greet us. I only had to do this once and you understood. Now, when we open the door, you start clapping immediately before I can even call them and they come running to your thrill and amazement. You have a command over these animals (or so you think.... nobody is in charge of a cat... :) )

The cats and the dogs get along okay so they have been walking around each other and this is also fun for you to see them interacting without any problems. Clay and I are going to have to put a kitty door on the basement door because you are now obsessed with the kitties and you are ALWAYS wanting to open the door and see them. I can't leave the door open or you'll fall down the stairs and I can't bring them up and close the door because of the litter boxes and Missy, so they'll have to stay down there until we can get a kitty door for the basement.

We went to the library yesterday. You LOVED it! We picked out books on Kitties and Doggies with lots of pictures and I bought some children's books that they were selling for 25 cents apiece. You can't beat that!

I recently got an award for being Employee of the Month at my job and I parked this morning in the garage parking with the executives of our company (one of the perks that comes with the award....). It is SO funny to see my little shiny orange car which I liken to be similar to driving a cute aluminum can with it's bird poop on the polish, the window shades in the backseat and the two baby seats parked amongst all of the nice Lexus, Mercedes and Jags. It really stands out and makes me laugh a little when I go out to the car at the end of the day.

I just want you to know that I'm thinking about you right now and hoping against hope that you don't have any more accidents for a long, long time! Not sure my heart can take it (well, it probably can, but let's not test it... okay?)

Love you!!!!

Mommy

No comments: