These are letters to Jack, my son, and my daughter, Audrey. You have given me the gift of motherhood. This is just a little gift back. I want to share my experiences with you of your childhood from my perspective of watching you grow - of being your Mom.

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

American Idon'tbelievewestayeduptill11:30watchingthis

Jack,

Last night your father and I sat down to watch TV when you fell asleep. We usually choose a short program so that we can watch it without falling asleep before heading to bed. Last night, we chose the TIVO'd selection of American Idol.

I usually don't watch this show too much, but the beginnings of the season are the most entertaining because you get to see more of the bad auditions that I find so entertaining. I usually watch with my fingers in front of my face to shield me from the embarrassment and humiliation that I am observing.

Well, you realized at about 9:30 that we weren't upstairs with you as we normally are. You weren't having this. US? Having fun WITHOUT YOU? When you pointed this out, your father and I were in immediate agreement.

We got you up to watch Idol with us. You watched for about 30 minutes (alternately, playing too) then you snuggled up on a blanket at the bottom of the slide and fell asleep.

Your Daddy and I were so entertained by the show that we actually stayed up until 11:30. Towards the end we were saying things to each other like "oh, my god. We are going to be so miserable tomorrow. We should go up right now. Wait a minute - did they say that rocker dude was going to be crying coming up?! I HAVE to see that. THEN we'll go up...."

Needless to say, I'm hurting a little this morning - but I wouldn't have traded last night for anything. It was FUN! And I'm so glad that you decided to join us for it!

Love,

Mommy

No comments: