These are letters to Jack, my son, and my daughter, Audrey. You have given me the gift of motherhood. This is just a little gift back. I want to share my experiences with you of your childhood from my perspective of watching you grow - of being your Mom.

Monday, February 22, 2010

Baby Shower Sentiment

Jack,

This weekend I was struck with an inspirational moment. I had a baby shower gift for a friend/co-worker that I had just wrapped in plain brown paper and I needed to give Audrey a bottle of milk.

I called you over and asked you if you would color a pretty picture on the package for my friend. She was having a new baby - wasn't that exciting? And I would love it if you would color a picture for her to decorate her present.

You nodded solemnly and said "Okay, Mommy!" and set to coloring on the present.

I settled in to feed Audrey her bottle while you worked intently on your coloring and I mentally high-fived myself for coming up with such a fantastic and inspirational idea! You were so creative and enjoying the process and this would put a personal touch on the baby shower gift for my friend/co-worker.

After the bottle was done, you looked up excitedly and called me over to show me the picture you had drawn. You were very enthusiastic. I walked over and you showed me what you had created:"See, Mommy! It's a BATTLE! See this guy here?":"He's dead. And see this?!? It's a MOUNTAIN!":"And THESE guys are all falling off the mountain!":"And over HERE? THIS is a MONSTER!":

If there was a moment in parenthood where you could take a picture of my face - this would have been the ultimate Kodak moment. My mouth was hanging open and my eyes were bulging out at this picture as I took in all the mayhem at once.

You were proudly watching my face and I found myself stammering out an "ooooooooh, wow! This is...... WOW! Great job, Buddy......"

You smiled proudly, climbed down from the table and walked off to play with some toys.

I had a seat at the table, still looking at the picture, dumbfounded.

Moments later, though, and I'm starting to laugh. Boy, is my present at this shower going to be an original! :)

And what a statement this makes. "Welcome to parenthood, my friend! Oh, and the gift? It's a parachute! Best of luck!"

Love,

Mommy

No comments: