These are letters to Jack, my son, and my daughter, Audrey. You have given me the gift of motherhood. This is just a little gift back. I want to share my experiences with you of your childhood from my perspective of watching you grow - of being your Mom.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

...The Darndest Things...

Jack,

You know that phrase "Kids say the Darndest Things?" Well..... :)
Jack: "Mommy! Your tummy is wrinkled!"
"Mommy - there's hair on your back."

Feeling a little bit like BigFoot right about now...

"Don't be fwustwated wiff me, Mommy - BE HAPPY!"
This next one, picture it's three AM and you are tired of listening to yelling coming from the opposite room...
"MooooooommmYYYYYY!!!! COME IN HERE AND GET ME! MOMMMMMMMEEEEEEEE! I NEED YOU TO COME AND GET MEEEEEE!!!!"

"Jack! Stop this right now! It's not wake up time and I can't sleep with you yelling. Now STOP!"

Silence.

Then, out of the darkness:

"Now can I, Mommy?"
***********

Or comments like this made under little breath after being corrected....:

".... I rip you, Mommy...."

Huh?

********Another big thing is "Later" which I am fully embracing. If I say "no" to something, after arguing to the point where you have been able to deduce that you aren't going to be able to get what you want this time, you will declare "We do it LATER" with a conviction and finality that allows you to accept that it won't happen NOW and then you head off about your business.
Part of me worries that an avalanche of "Laters" will be my final cause of death if they all come to fruition at once.
************

Love,

Mommy

No comments: