These are letters to Jack, my son, and my daughter, Audrey. You have given me the gift of motherhood. This is just a little gift back. I want to share my experiences with you of your childhood from my perspective of watching you grow - of being your Mom.

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Beautiful Baby

7-17-06

Jack,

First off - I want to preface this entry with a disclaimer. I want you to know that looks are not important. I say that because I want you to value yourself for who you are and the way that you look is such a SMALL part of that. Your looks will change through your life - for some people a lot more than others due to accidents, etc - but we all change as we age. Looks are fleeting. I have always found that I am more complimented when someone says something about a good idea I had or complimented some achievement of mine than how I looked. Trust me - I like when I'm complimented on my appearance, too, but I find the other types of compliments make me feel much better about myself.

That being said - there is no denying that you are a beautiful child. I receive compliments from complete strangers when we are out about how beautiful you are.

When I was younger, my parents got me involved in modeling. I was a child model for clothing and I really enjoyed it. I had fun at the shoots and had a lot of fun seeing my picture in the paper. It was a real treat to get to see it in black and white print next to the news and know that hundreds of people had seen my picture. I felt important.

Well, all those compliments got me to thinking that it might be fun to do this for you. I went ahead and submitted your photos to an agency and you got a call for a Macy's ad. I took you yesterday. It was fun - a little crazy, but fun. The photographers were very patient and enthusiastic about you. They loved you! They put you in three different outfits and took a lot of pictures. I think you are going to be in some sort of Macy's ad/catalogue that will be delivering with any credit card statements to cardholder's of Famous Barr and Macy's accounts. We don't have one, but I have put information out there to anyone that does that they should hold onto any mailers that they receive with their statements because I want to check for any pictures of you in them! :) I think it would be fun if you do end up in print, but we'll see.

That aside - you and I got to have the whole day together and that was the best part of it for me. I had such a wonderful time showing you off and getting to be the proud mother of such a sweet and wonderful little boy. Aside from being cute - you had the best disposition of any of the children there and it came through in your pictures. Your confidence and inquisitiveness and passion for life. What a joy it is to be your mom!

Well, I guess the apple didn't fall too far from the tree in the area of child modeling. Even if that was the one and only time - it was fun to share that experience with you, Jack! I love everything about you, honey! You are a smart, sensitive, caring, curious and beautiful boy!

Love,

Mommy

No comments: