These are letters to Jack, my son, and my daughter, Audrey. You have given me the gift of motherhood. This is just a little gift back. I want to share my experiences with you of your childhood from my perspective of watching you grow - of being your Mom.

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

First Kiss

5-3-06

Jack,

You've had a cold for a few days now and it's really been interfering with your sleep, but last night you had the best night of sleep that you've had in a long time. You woke up happy and I know the day is going to be a great one for you!

Milestones for you used to seem to be further apart, but now they just keep coming one on top of the other!

You gave me your first kiss a couple of days ago. It is so cute. You don't understand to put your lips together to kiss so you end up opening your mouth up really wide and putting it on my cheek and drool just runs down my shirt collar - but I love it!!! It's so cute that I don't even wipe myself off right away (okay - after a few seconds I do, but the love that you give those messy kisses with is too precious to do it right away)...

Also, Daddy is realizing one of the moments that he has been dreading as you have been growing. The moment when you start asking to watch YOUR videos. :)

You have started to really watch and enjoy certain DVDs that we have - infant DVD's - and are now asking to watch them - usually when the Simpsons are on to Daddy's dismay! :)

You have two videos that you prefer - one is a Baby Einstein DVD which features various toys set to classical music. Another video which you LOVE is Curious Buddies - On the Farm. It has animals and songs and little animal puppets. When I'm putting the DVD in the player for you, you start bouncing up and down in anticipation of watching this video that you love so much.

I, of course, have worries about you watching too much television and not getting enough exercise - but I don't think I have to worry (although I'm sure that won't stop me....). You seem to be picking up a LOT from the videos. I think you are aware now that there are other animals than just dog-dogs which I don't think you quite grasped before. I think before you just thought that there was a wide VARIETY of dog-dogs. The cat variety, the bird variety.... Now, though, I think you understand that there are different kinds of animals. You don't point to them and say dog-dog anymore, but you do point and watch. I haven't gotten you to name them yet or make their sounds, but we'll get there. Actually, that will probably be tomorrow's milestone, right buddy?

Your little hair is really coming in all blonde and curly. The other day we were on the playground playing on the slide and you had worked up a lot of static electricity on the slide and your little blonde curls were standing straight up on your head. With your grin and your hair like that, you looked like the cutest and happiest little porcupine! I had to give you a big hug, but we both got shocked in the process. That will teach us! - or will it! :)

I love you little guy! Have a great day!

Love,

Mommy

No comments: