These are letters to Jack, my son, and my daughter, Audrey. You have given me the gift of motherhood. This is just a little gift back. I want to share my experiences with you of your childhood from my perspective of watching you grow - of being your Mom.

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Back to School

Jack,

Today you went for your first day at your new preschool, the ECEC. I have fretted and stewed about the decision to switch you. The center you were at was good, but I had some issues with some of the teachers and felt that this new center had a lot more structure and would be good for you before moving onto Kindergarten. Plus, it's a little more challenging. I think you are up for that as I think sometimes you got bored at your old center.

When I dropped you off, the breakfast table was already full and you were seated at a table by yourself for breakfast so I joined you and kept you company while you ate. Afterwards, you were shy as the children headed to their centers and you held back picking out solitary toys to play with and watching the other kids. I wanted so badly to help you and couldn't resist asking a few kids their names before I headed towards the door so you would know a few names and wouldn't feel like everything was too strange. There was a Henry and a Brian and a girl name Charlotte. She was less than kind when you asked her name twice she said "I'm not telling you!"

Your feelings were hurt and you looked at me and I couldn't help myself. I said "ooooooooh - so you don't have a name, huh?" She looked at me incredulously and said "YEEEEES! I DOOOOO have a name! I just not telling you!" So I pushed it a little further: "No, you must not have a name or you would" "IT'S CHARLOTTE!" "Charlotte? Oh! That's a really pretty name! We love the movie Charlotte's Web, don't we Jack? See, Jack? Her name is Charlotte."

I was going to be gosh darned if she was going to start your first day off like that....!

Audrey,

I met your teacher last night at the WCCC. I was nervous because Jack just left the center and I want to be sure you are getting the best we can give you. In the interview with the teacher, I was quick to share that, too. I told her that safety is definitely first importance, but I'm really concerned that I be happy about our choice to have you at the center. Turns out your teacher, who is also named Audrey, has been with the center for five years and started out volunteering at the center so she could spend time with the babies and they insisted on hiring her. She pulled in several parents whose children she has taught since they were your age and they insisted that I've drawn a lucky straw in getting Audrey as your teacher - that she is the best.

I'm, therefore, very optimistic about both of your school futures. It's more positive than I'm used to being because I'm the eternal worrier!

Jack, I think your friends will get to know you and LOVE you and the structure and challenge at the new center will be great for you.

Audrey, I think that your teacher will be nurturing and caring and I'll be sure to talk to her regularly to make sure I feel good about everything you get - stimulation, being talked to, etc.

I promise to be both of your best advocates!

Love,

Mommy

No comments: