These are letters to Jack, my son, and my daughter, Audrey. You have given me the gift of motherhood. This is just a little gift back. I want to share my experiences with you of your childhood from my perspective of watching you grow - of being your Mom.

Thursday, May 14, 2009

The Final Countdown

Jack,

The days are numbered for the three of us. Before long it will be four.I feel like I want to say something to you about this.I never knew how much I would love being a mother and the challenges that I would face. How much I would worry over every decision because I saw them all as having such consequence to you. It didn’t matter if the consequence was perhaps a small one. Nothing is small if it affects you.Recently your class hatched some baby ducks and your immediate tenderness with them is really something to witness. You gently touch them and speak so sweetly to them – it makes tears come to my eyes. I’ve seen this gentleness between you and your two favorite pets at home: Darla and Hercules.

You are such a sweet little boy, Honey! How can I possibly show you how much I love you?As Audrey’s birth has been approaching, Clay’s travel has decreased and you are LOVING this. We have been having some separation issues in the morning but your Dad being present has helped make these issues less severe. He has a way that is so different from my own and you need that new approach. You warm to it.

The other day, you put your pants on backwards and Daddy told you that your “Butt Balloon” was in the front. You laughed so hard, I thought you would fall over. Now you demand that he say that to you over and over again. I tried to surprise you with that comment last night and called it your “Balloon Butt” and you kind of looked at me and I remembered my own poor Mom trying on the Daddy jokes sometimes and messing them up and I had a new-found sympathy for her position.You also love Daddy’s joke about “what does one chicken say to another chicken?” and then he gets up in your face and emits a loud “BAAAAAAAAAWK!” and you laugh and laugh!

The other night we were watching our goodnight story and you choose sometimes to play games with Daddy instead of watching the bedtime story – and you snuggled up next to him and it was so sweet, I thought I would burst into tears. I’m so lucky!

I can’t believe I – we ALL are – about to get even luckier!

Love,

Mommy

1 comment:

mommadough said...

Yes, he will be blessed to have a sibling, Bridget, he really will.
Love, Mommadough