These are letters to Jack, my son, and my daughter, Audrey. You have given me the gift of motherhood. This is just a little gift back. I want to share my experiences with you of your childhood from my perspective of watching you grow - of being your Mom.

Monday, June 05, 2006


Jack's First Joke

6-5-06

Jack,

This weekend was the birth of your first joke. I always new that little boys found bodily functions to be hilarious - I just never knew how early it started!

You've always found it funny whenever you had a bodily function that produced sound - burps, farts, hiccups, sneezes, coughs - they have always been the best punch line with you! We can always evoke a laugh from you with one of these - fake or real - doesn't matter.

Well, this weekend I was playing with you and wanted to make you laugh. I was having a fake sneezing fit in order to crack you up and it was going quite wonderfully. I paused after one of these episodes to enjoy your laughter and giggling when you said: "aaah, aaah, aaaah - ACHOOO!" clear as day! I must have looked shocked because you laughed even harder - both at your own joke and my surprise that you had made a joke!

Your first joke! I must have made you repeat it a hundred times to everyone that we saw this weekend. Your Daddy has been playing this game with you and was the one that taught it to me. He says that he heard you do this last week and he probably did, but this weekend was the first time that I had heard you deliver your first joke and it was so much fun to hear and see.

The joke has graduated from there. I think you have realized now that it's even funnier to fake sneeze when you have something in your mouth - like milk or water - because when you fake sneeze with something in your mouth, you produce a fine spray upon the utterance of ACHOO that goes everywhere and gets an even bigger reaction from you audience than just the fake sneeze would produce on it's own.

Now - how do I convince you of the hilarity of using a kleenex? :)

Thanks for the laughs, little man!

Love,

Mommy

No comments: